There is a common notion that those who are at a certain age are content to sit around in whatever is clean and comfortable. However, most women in their 60’s and above are still interested in fashion and will make the effort to look their best. Some even refuse to be constrained by the idea of senior fashion and are boldly making a statement with their sartorial choices, like 95-year-old style icon Iris Apfel who just designed a line of smart bracelets for seniors.
Fashion Tips to Look Your Best
While you may not be inclined to pick up a pair of oversized specs as those worn by the fabulous Miss Apfel, you can still have a personal style that is attractive yet comfortable, perfect whether you’re retired and living at home or if you’re residing in an assisted living facility.
Here are a few incredibly simple hacks that will keep you on top of your fashion game.
· Look through your closet and throw out or donate the clothes that you don’t want to wear anymore. If you’re up to it, you can even follow decluttering and organising expert Marie Kondo’s Konmari Method to clean and declutter your closet. Keep an eye out for anything that is too worn or stained as those clothes should not have a place in your wardrobe. The same goes for things that no longer fit you or flatter your colouring. Once you pare down your wardrobe, you’ll find that you’re left with items that you’re inclined to wear, and you know that these pieces look good on you.
· Avoid Monochrome – Some people think that having an all-black wardrobe will make it easier to get dressed for the day. However, black can be quite harsh and it’s incredibly aging for most complexions. Instead of black, opt to build a capsule wardrobe that consists of other neutral or earth colours like navy, chocolate brown, and beige. For instance, you can get some navy trousers or skirts and pair them with brightly coloured or printed blouses.
· Casual and Easy – If you’re in an assisted living facility and have impaired physical mobility, opt for clothes that are easy to slip on and off. Go for breathable fabrics like cotton. If you absolutely hate house dresses, you can wear a caftan dress for that elegant, summer-by-the-pool look.
· Don’t forget to accessorise – A few thin bangles and a long necklace can spice up even the most basic outfit. Wear shoes that are comfortable for walking around yet stylish at the same time. Opt for footwear that is easy to slip on and off, such as loafers, slip-on sneakers, or ballet flats with non-slip soles.
· If you want to get jeans, choose trouser cut ones over skinny jeans, which can emphasise lumps and bumps. Moreover, they can be quite difficult to take off. Some jeans even have elasticated waists to make dressing easier. If you can’t find good jeans with elasticated waists, here’s one tip– head over to the maternity section. You’ll find jeans with elasticated bands and no zipper closures, and they’re so easy to pull on and take off. Conceal the band by wearing a long blouse or a tunic, accessorise, and voila! Instant chic.
You can look great whatever your age is by keeping these fashion hacks in mind. Style knows no age, so stay confident and keep being fabulous.