Restoring your precious antique jewellery that has been damaged can be a delicate task. Not only does the item have the effects of time to contend with but there will a significant value behind the piece. Whether it comes with a rich history or has been inherited through your family, you want to find someone trustworthy to repair your damaged antiques.
The question is – how do you go about finding someone reliable and qualified to restore your antiques and bring them back to life? There can be certain steps you can take to ensure you get a great service and leave your pieces of value with someone you can trust.
If you are based in Sydney Australia, we have some news for you. There are reliable antique dealers around the area who can help you. One example is Kalmar Antiques. Kalmar Antiques have been in the business since 1986 and have built up a solid reputation as fully qualified jewellers. Their team of experts offer repair services to restore your damaged jewellery to its former glory. You can check out KalmarAntiques.com.au for more information about their services. Over the years, they have serviced pocket watches well over 200 years old, so you won’t have to worry as your damaged jewellery is in good hands.
For now, let’s see what you can do to go about choosing the best jeweller for your repairs:
- Think about going through word of mouth: Personal recommendations from friends and family are possibly the best way to go. This way you know personally, someone close has trusted a certain professional who has delivered and will do the same for you. Asking around for jewellers in your area who take care of repairs is the first step you should take.
- Make sure you can trust them: Trust comes first and foremost so make sure the jeweller you choose gives you absolutely no reason to doubt their authenticity. You should build up a good relationship with your jeweller too so you know where to turn to further down the line
- Make good use of the internet: The internet can be fantastic for scouting down a wide range of jewellers to compare rates and services. It is also good so you can get an idea of their reputation. Looking at social media, website testimonials and more can help you generate an overall view of the standard of your jeweller.
- Make sure they’re interested: They should have an avid interest in the jewellery you present to them. They want to be genuinely excited to work on restoring your items. This will always be a good sign you should go with them after everything else has been assessed.
When you have taken care of the above, you can also ask them some questions to get a good idea if they are cut out for the job. Here are some good ones:
- How long have you been in the business of repairing antique jewellery?
- Ask yourself ‘are they handling my items respectfully?’
- Ask yourself ‘are they listening to me intently and understanding what I really want from this transaction’?
Now you know some great steps to take in finding a reliable jeweller, you can get your antique items repaired with full confidence.